Thursday, February 3, 2011

Costa Rica...?

It's all Carly's fault. Carly and I were stuck in Spanish class together every day this past summer. So when I saw her in my psychology class this term, I said hello. Kind of weird that we both happened to be in this psychology class since it isn't a Spanish major requirement. Anyway, we've been sitting together in class and studying together. Not only did we find out that we share a faith in Jesus, but today she started talking about Costa Rica. She has been there before and really liked it. But this time, she was talking about doing her Senior Capstone in Costa Rica this summer.

Whaaaaaatt??? I immediately asked for more information. You see, to graduate from PSU, you have to do this "Senior Capstone" which is basically like a volunteer/service-learning class. There are all kinds of options. Including some international options. The funny thing is, I had just this morning been thinking that maybe I should try to get my senior capstone class out of the way this summer. I hadn't really looked into what the options were yet, until Carly piqued my interest. She showed me the information on the program and said that the applications are due March 5th. I just now this very second, while typing that, realized how soon March 5th is. Yikes. Anyway, after doing a little more research, I'm very seriously considering this.

You spend 2 and a half weeks in Turrialba, Costa Rica, working with schools or sustainable agriculture practices or homes for the elderly. Plus you do some sight-seeing. AND you get 6 credits for it. Hmmmm Let's not talk about the fact that it costs $3000+.

Actually, yes, let's talk about that. See, I was planning on taking at least 12 credits this summer anyway, which means that I would be spending about $1500-2000. But it doesn't look like there are very many classes that I would actually be able to take, according to the summer class schedule that's online right now. So, I'm thinking that if I just do the capstone instead of 12 credits (3 classes), I won't be spending a whole ton more. Plus, I will have all summer to work since I won't be in class every day, so will be able to make a lot of the money that I will need anyway. Hmmm...I'm quite convincing, aren't I? I'm convincing myself, anyway.

If you aren't convinced for me, here are some photos of Turrialba.




I'm now accepting applications for sponsors.......

4 comments:

  1. That sounds fantastic. Go for it. Just make sure to work extra hard to earn extra money. You know; all that shopping you would do there. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still say go for it!!! Maybe our lottery tickets will be winners?? :) It's also awesome that you would be traveling with a fellow Christian!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know someone that went there and came back with burrowing bugs in her feet. Just saying:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. EW. I don't want bugs burrowing in my feet.....

    ReplyDelete