Thursday, July 7, 2011

The voices in my head.

I'm in a melancholy-ish mood right now (also, I had to look up how to spell melancholy). I don't even know why. Well, I'm sure it has something to do with the fact that I'm leaving for Korea in 11 days. A fact which I am getting quite good at ignoring. I should probably start packing. And figuring out what I need to get before I leave. But I'm just gonna go ahead and put that off a little longer.

I am excited for this trip. It is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity that I will learn and experience so much from. Its going to be a lot of work and will be exhausting, but so worth it. In our meetings (all two of them) for this trip, they made sure to tell us how hard and uncomfortable things will be most of the time. So that has my normal "I'm-about-to-go-on-an-amazing-adventure" -ness kind of lower than normal. That, and the fact that I'll be missing my best friend having her baby, my niece's second birthday, my boyfriend (who knew one of those was going to come along when I applied for this program?), my family, a few paychecks at work, and a large part of summer in Oregon (which has FINALLY arrived. I think.).

I'll be back after five weeks and it will be like I was never gone. Then I can go on to planning my next adventure. Which may be either a while from now or something a little closer to home since I doubt any more free trips are going to come my way. The older you get, the more difficult it becomes to take trips like this, for all the reasons named above. Leaving for Spain last year was one of the most difficult things I've ever had to do. Praise the Lord everyone is healthy and happy this time around, but there are more things going on and more ties to people and things that make it difficult all the same. I think that's why it is hard for me to get excited about this trip. I know I will get excited when I get there and will have the time of my life, but I'm just kind of ambivalent about it at this point.

Anyway, 11 days to go! I better get to learning Korean.......maybe that will get me psyched up for the trip! Also, here's the ten-day weather forecast for the area I'll be in in Korea. Hmmm, looks like fun!

2 comments:

  1. The wcast looks pretty humid. I have been to South Korea. Unfortunately it was in winter and it was cold. But I really enjoyed the food. Beef strips with rice and kimchi among other good stuff. Enjoy your trip and soak it all in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Going to miss being able to Skype to stay in touch! Only 5 weeks, and we will all be here when you get back! Maybe next adventure should be a .....CRUISE!!!! YAY.

    ReplyDelete