Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Squirrels are trying to kill me.

I thought it was summer. I thought summer meant sunshine. Not sort-of-warm but CLOUDY ALL DAY EVERY DAY. I am getting angry...I guess yesterday was mostly nice, but it was still kind of overcast for a large part of the day. I do not appreciate this!

My apartment has a little balcony on it that gets sun for about one hour every afternoon. Our "backyard" is a forest-Marquam Nature Park, to be specific. So for most of the day the trees block the sun from reaching our little two-by-ten-foot balcony. BUT, yesterday I swept off all the leaves and grossness and sat out there for a little bit when the sun was just starting to hit it.

But someone was not very happy that I was out there. There is a big ivy-covered tree about two feet away from the far end of our balcony.



And apparently a squirrel has made his (her?) home there. And he (she?) was very suspicious of my presence. At first I saw the little squirrel stealing food from our neighbor's bird feeder that is on their balcony.



Then he was running around. Then he started yelling at me. Very persistently. I heard a weird noise and looked up from my Korean soap opera (my new favorite thing, ever.) to lock eyes with the little guy. He was glaring at me. I'm pretty sure he is rabid. I scooted back a little and continued watching my show (when is she going to tell him she's a SHE, not a HE??!?!?!?!) only to look up again a few minutes later to see the squirrel still there staring and chastising me. He kept getting closer to the balcony. I was pretty sure he was going to jump on the railing and then onto me and rip my eyes out with his rabid little teeth. So, I did what any sane person would do and grabbed the closest thing to me that could be used as a weapon. Which happened to be an ice-scraper for a car windshield which for some reason was on the balcony next to a box of Blue Moon beer and Megan's chains for her car. Try attacking me now, Mr. Squirrel.




He eventually just climbed up the tree farther and continued screeching at me. I eventually left. NOT because I was scared for my life but because I went to meet Ben at the gym.

Its not over yet, little buddy. If it ever gets sunny again, we will duel it out. I'll bring more weapons next time. Just please wait until my show is over.









UPDATE: I just heard some noises coming from outside and, lo and behold, what did I see but my little friend. So I ran out to take a photo. Again, I thought I was going to die. But I captured a shot of him while he was running away to organize his squirrel friends in an attack party. Don't worry, I'm safely inside now. But I'm sure they could gnaw through the screen door if they really wanted to.....
HIS EYES ARE GLOWING!!!!


UPDATE 2: He finally found out she is a girl! And he was really mad, but now they are in love. Its adorable. And he might not leave Korea for NY after all! Oh, Coffee Prince :)

3 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh you are so hilarious!! Love it!! And I'm sure he (she) is scared to death of that 'weapon'!! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. he sometimes sits on the tree outside my bedroom window and chirps at me

    ReplyDelete
  3. hahahah so glad I'm not his only victim, Annie! He's a scary little creature :(

    ReplyDelete