Wednesday, June 1, 2011

squashy homework hit-and-run

I think I can, I think I can, I think I can.....almost done with the term! Half of a paper left to write and lots of studying to do, then it will be summer! I got a text from my boss today asking if I wanted to work in another club while we close down for the remodel. I didn't answer. Not sure what I'm gonna do about that. I definitely want two weeks off, but could use the money....oh well, I'll figure it out :) (I wrote this yesterday but am posting it today...I told her I want the time off...hehehe)

On another note, I got home from class earlier this week to quite a surprise. I noticed there was a car parked halfway on the sidewalk. I thought that was kind of odd so kept looking as I got closer. Then I realized that it was parked there because it had been hit and pushed up onto the sidewalk. Then I got closer still and realized it was my poor roommate's car. And she was in CA for a bachelorette party. I didn't want to have to ruin her vacation with the news, but the police said they had to talk to her to file a report, so I had to break the news to her. Anyway, the seem to think they can fix the car, so that's good I guess. I think the garbage man is the culprit, but I'm not sure if we'll ever find out.

Wednesdays are usually pretty good days for me since I have most of the day off to get stuff done. This was no exception, I feel like I accomplished so much today! I finished two papers that I had been working on and wrote one and a half papers for another class. So close! Plus I did a little cooking. I have shared on numerous occasions my love for the Pioneer Woman. But today I ventured out on my own. I had gone to Trader Joe's with Annie earlier to get a few groceries and picked up a bag of cubed butternut squash. I thought I'd make some sort of pasta or something with it. Well I couldn't really find a recipe I liked, so I just threw a bunch of stuff together. I'm gonna go ahead and brag, it was pretty amazing. I cooked the squash in some butter (this was not a low-fat recipe, sorry) and then added in some pine nuts and some chicken. Then I made a little roux (added flour to the butter for thickening) and poured in some milk til it seemed like a good consistency. I had some ricotta cheese that needed used up, so I threw in some of that and some sage, plus salt and pepper. Then I poured in some cooked penne pasta and stirred it all up. I decided I'd bake it for a bit, so put it in a pan with some cheese sprinkled on top.

YUM. The sage worked really well with the squash. I can't take credit for that idea, I had seen a recipe for sage browned butter sauce with butternut squash pasta somewhere, so decided that would probably be good to add! Anyway, I'd probably do a little less sauce next time since it kind of overpowered the squash. But it still is quite delicious! And I have enough to last a week. Or to last my roommates and I a few days anyway. So if you're hungry, come on over!

I took a picture of the finished product but it doesn't look too exciting. So I'm going to be lazy and not bother putting it on here. You'll just have to imagine it.

1 comment:

  1. I can't believe how creative you are getting in your cooking. Way to be brave and just go for it. I'm guessing Ben could help you out a bit with the excess?? Glad you decided to take a couple weeks off to relax, destress before leaving for Korea. I know you have never liked writing papers, or just writing anything, but this blog sure shows how that has changed! Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete