Thursday, March 8, 2012

A break from wedding planning

Sometimes a girl just needs to pamper herself. My version of pampering is usually either a nice hot bubble bath or a self-done manicure. I'm too cheap to go get manicures.

Because of my mad couponing skills, I occasionally try out a new product I wouldn't have tried before because of the cost. One of my most recent ventures was Sally Hansen Salon Effects. I had been curious about these, since it is supposed to last longer than normal nail polish. I love having my nails painted, but get annoyed when it chips off after a day. So I had high hopes that this stuff would be a miracle cure to chipped polish! Normally it costs like $10, but I got it for less than $2 thanks to a huge sale plus a coupon at Rite Aid.

I decided to try it out the other day to see what the fuss is all about. It's basically an at-home shellac manicure. I got out the instructions and went to work. These reminded me of little stick-on nails I used to get when I was little. They are just the grown-up version I guess. The directions say to stick the little sticker on your nail, stretching it gently as you fit it to your nail. Then you push down the edges with an orange stick and buff away the extra from the end of your nail.

Don't worry, I got pink ones, not the leopard print. Although they were BRIGHT pink ones.

Another reason I was excited to try this is it means no drying time. I hate painting my nails then having to wait forever to actually do anything. I always have to go to the bathroom or something when I'm done, and end up ruining my freshly-painted nails somehow. So I figured this would be quicker than a regular manicure. Well, there is no drying time, but it takes forever to apply them. It definitely takes some technique, but its not impossible. The right hand definitely turned out worse, which is always the case with a self-done manicure. But all in all they looked pretty decent.

For a few hours, anyway. They started chipping and peeling pretty quickly. By the next day, there were cracks all over each nail, plus chips around the edges. So then came the task of removing it. Which I will equate to removing sticker residue from a glass. Not fun. Not easy.

Anyway, they are a great idea! Just not worth the $10 cost! Not even worth the $2 cost...

1 comment:

  1. saw some TVmercials for those nail things, I didn't see how they could work. Our nails are just to soft, bend every time we touch anything, which creates the stupid chips and cracks. People who get the fake nails can keep their polish looking good until they are tired of it, or it grows out.

    ReplyDelete