Wednesday, June 30, 2010

learning...

So I've been doing this "reading through the Bible in a year" thing. It's been a very long time since I've read through the whole thing, so I decided it was about time to do it again. This morning I just finished up with Psalms. A book that has so many good nuggets in it and one that is read and quoted very often. But out of the whole entire book with 150 chapters, one little verse really struck me.

"You are my Lord; apart from you I have no good thing." Psalm 16:2.

I always want things. More of what I have, things that others have that I don't, better things, cooler things, money, people (most specifically people of the male persuasion...). Two things I constantly struggle with (and always have) are pride and discontentment. I am in need of no thing. I have everything and everyone I could possible want or need. But I still want more and think I deserve more and think people will like me (which I value way too much) if I have more. So this verse really spoke to me when I read it.

I have been blessed with so much. So much. But I'm still not happy and still think I need more? Like if I have more money or cooler clothes or a boyfriend or a new car...I will be happier? Things will never make me happy. People will always let me down. There is no good thing apart from God. Other things will always disappoint you or just make you want more. I have the one thing that matters, so anything else is just a cherry on top.

I am a planner and a dreamer. I like to plan things out, whether it’s my hour or my day or my life. And I like to dream about a perfect future. I’m pretty much constantly daydreaming. And I think that’s okay - I can dream about things. I can want things. But only as long as I know that no one thing or person will make me happy and truly content. I have God. He is the only thing that will never let me down. As long as I have a relationship with Him, I need nothing. And nothing will top that. There is no thing or no one that is better than God. As long as I remind myself that apart from God, I have no good thing, I will be fine and will (hopefully) learn to be content!


Anyway, just something I've been trying to take to heart! A little inspiration for the day :)

No comments:

Post a Comment