Thursday, December 30, 2010

Barcelona. (Barthelona/Barca/Bartha/Barça)

The day after my last final, Sofie and I packed up and headed to Barcelona. We were going to meet Sarah and two of her friends there and spend a few days seeing the sights. Sofie and I said goodbye to our señoras (no tears!!!!), hopped in a taxi and headed to the airport. Where the tears started. But nevermind that.

Now, I was in Sevilla for a little over three months. And I bought a lot of things. I mean a LOT of things. So my two giant suitcases were filled to the brim. And very heavy. How heavy, I did not realize. Until I went to check my two bags on Vueling and the guy said, "uhh, the limit is 46 kilos. This will cost you 230 euros to check these bags." Uhhhh I'm sorry. 230 euros?!?!!? I was not sure what to do. So I just stared at him. And so he started speaking in English because he thought I didn't understand. But I still stared at him, bewildered. There was no way I was going to pay that much to check my bags. But there was also no way I was going to not see Barthelona. So I just kept saying, uhhhhhhh. Ehhhhh. Ummmmm. And he finally asked what Sofie was checking. She had a tiny little suitcase. She is amazing. I don't know how she left after 3 months with less than I started with. Anyway, because of her smart, thrifty, space conservation-ness, he said he'd call hers a carry-on and then my two could count as three bags between us. Yikes. Praise the Lord.

After that scare, we found our gate and sat until our plane boarded. For three hours. Noooo idea why we got there so early. Anyway, we finally made it to Barcelona at about 10pm, where we hopped on the train (baaarely making it in time), then found our way to the apartment/hotel. Dragging my billion pounds of luggage behind us (Sofie is my hero for helping me all week with my bags!). We made it to the apartment. And then stared up the four flights of stairs with tears in our eyes. Then drug (dragged?) my bags up the stairs. Then I ate my last bocadillo from my señora :( Then Sarah told us about how she had been attacked in the train station by some moron throwing makeup on her and pretending to help her while his friend distracted her by asking for directions and his other friend tried to steal her bags. Well, Sarah is much smarter than some dumb muggers, so they didn't get away with anything. Minus staining her clothes :( Anyway, we went to sleep and woke up the next morning to explore Barcelona!

I normally don't like big cities that much. I prefer the smaller, more traditional, historical towns. Not that Barcelona isn't historic. But I didn't really think I'd like it that much. I was wrong. It may be one of my favorite cities in Spain now. The Gaudí buildings are incredible. I had heard of Gaudí and heard of the Sagrada Familia, etc. But I did NOT expect it to be so amazing. Gaudí was a genius. His buildings are just insane. Like nothing you would imagine a building to be. The Sagrada Familia, Gaudí's cathedral in Barcelona, is breathtaking. I could have spent all day looking up at the building. All week probably. After gawking at the Gaudí creations; seeing the Picasso museum full of amazing art; visiting the food market with super cheap, fresh juices; eating PAELLA finally; drinking some cava (champagne); doing some cuddling and movie-watching with the girls; my final serving of churros; and hanging out with my lovely Sarah and Sofie, and Sarah's two fun friends who are studying in France, it was time to part ways :(

Barcelona was fantastic. It's a wonderful big city with so much to do and see, and with so much quirky-ness that the big-ness doesn't even matter. I love Gaudí and Picasso now more than ever thanks to this city. I also love paella. And fresh fruit juice. I DON'T love street performers, which Barcelona is full of. They are just weird and creepy. I also don't love makeup-spilling attention-diverting robbers. But still, Barcelona is great. After all the wonder of this city, it was time to head back to Madrid for a day before leaving for good. Which meant time to hop on an eight-hour bus ride. Fun.

More to come!

No pictures because my computer is dead. And I left my cord in Barcelona. So until Sofie gets back from Spain/Serbia with it, I am computer-less. So you can go to my facebook to see a few photos!

No comments:

Post a Comment