Monday, December 13, 2010

Triana, tea and...something else that starts with "t"...

I'm pretty sure Spain wants me to leave. Or I'm allergic to my bedroom. Either than or my sinus infection is back with a vengeance. Either way, I'm sick. Again. For the fourth time in 3 months. Anyway, because my head is so stuffy that I can't study, besides the fact that I'm tired of studying, here's another post for you lovely people.

Last week of classes! So. Crazy. Today was a good day, minus having to take a Spanish exit exam. Although I know without a doubt that I did way better than I did on the entrance exam. I got to hang out in class with some of my favorite professors and with my TDP buddies. Then I came home and had a yummy lunch. Will go to my favorite tea place later to do a little late-night studying. And then tomorrow we start all over again.

This last weekend we went to Triana. This is the part of Sevilla on the other side of the river. Sevilla is split up into different areas-we live in Puerta Osario, near the Macarena and also near the Centro. There's Nervion, Los Remedios....and Triana. Now, Triana has quite a history. The Triana-ites? are very proud people. When you go there, you find T-shirts saying things to the effect of "the republic of Triana." They think they are the greatest. For some reason I had not been to Triana yet in my three months here. Mentira, I had been to calle Betis once. This is the "party" street lined with bars and discotecas immediately across the river. I'm not sure that it actually counts as real Triana. Anyway, Sarah, Charlotte and I explored that part of town a little on Saturday.

Triana is known for, besides its local pride, ceramics. There are a ton of shops with handmade ceramic creations. They are beautiful. I wanted to buy literally everything I saw. And I pretty much did....After wandering around for a while in the ceramics shops and stopping at the most amazing pastry shop, we headed back home. That night we met up at Douchka for some tea and video-making. We have to make this video for our psychology class about our process of learning Spanish in Spain. So we've got all kinds of video clips that we've taken that we had to put together. It's gonna be pretty amazing, I'll show you all when its done.


Triana food market. Jamón, anyone??

Or, if you're not into pork...maybe some pheasant or a rabbit?!

I ate these once. The sea-snail-like things.

Crossing the bridge to Triana.

AMAZING pastries, with Sarah.

Christmas decorations, sunshine and orange trees.
What could be more Christmas-y?!

Yesterday (Sunday), Charlotte and I went to the art market outside of the art museum here in town. Its one of my favorite places in Sevilla for some reason. I love seeing local artists and their crafts. Maybe its because I have no artistic talents whatsoever that I really appreciate the talents of others! We wandered around a bit, ran into a friend from school, bought a few (more...) things, and made plans to meet up with our friend at Douchka later. After getting home and eating some of the food my señora left me (she was going to be gone all day so left me a LOT of food for lunch and dinner.), we headed to Douchka. For the second day in a row. And after a pot of tea, some dessert, and 4 hours....we left. Almost done with the video. We just are going to go back again tonight to finish it up. Three days in a row, they should give us some free tea or something...


This is lunch and dinner. Not at all an unusual amount of food.
I ate it all.

Anyway, a great start to my last week here! The rest of this week should be pretty great too!


Here are some photos I stole from Charlotte (as are the ones of the Triana food market). She is way better about taking pictures than I am.

Las Irlandesas-the school where we taught.

In the teacher's lounge with Sarah and Tim.

The street we live on-calle Alcántara.

The plaza right outside our building.

The street we walk down, and graffiti we walk past, literally every day.

"No me ha dejado."

Another sight we walk by every single day.

No comments:

Post a Comment