Friday, December 24, 2010

shopping, studying, tears and goodbyes

Where to start...?! Well, first of all, I'm HOME! After 21 hours, three flights, one taxi ride, leaving my iPod on the plane and lost luggage...I made it back to Portland at 12.30am this morning. I can't believe that yesterday (the day before?) I was in Madrid. Craziness.

Back to Sevilla-the last week or so there. I don't remember what I posted about last, and I'm too lazy to look it up. The last week in Sevilla went by really fast. I had finals to study for, sights to see, goodbyes to say, tears to shed....

I had four finals to take the last week. I also had to turn in a final paper about the book/movie Los Santos Inocentes, a portfolio about my teaching practicum and a video for my psychology class. The tests were pretty hard and required quite a bit of studying. And the video required hours of editing, all done in Douchka, my favorite tea shop. We literally spent four hours there one night working on the video. I'm sure the owner just loved us...

Between studying and taking exams, I did lots of last-minute sight-seeing and shopping. I had lots of souvenirs to buy still and places that I wanted to check out or see again. There are still a lot of places I didn't get around to seeing after almost four months. Kind of pathetic, really. But I still saw a lot of amazing things and got in a few last-minute sights.

Our little TDP group had been planning a goodbye party or two. The original plan was to meet up with Ale and Gerardo and some other friends on Wednesday night for some drinks. Then the 5 of us would go out to dinner on Thursday night as our last dinner together. But because of the studying required for our finals on Thursday, we decided to do everything on Thursday night. And then CIEE notified us they were also throwing us a goodbye party that night. So we planned to go to the party, then head to dinner with our little TDP group, then meet up with other friends for a couple drinks.

When Thursday came around, we finished our finals and I did a little packing, then Sofie, Charlotte and I met up for a little pre-party wine-drinking. We sat out at the table in our little patio area and drank a bottle of wine between the three of us. So by the time we headed to the CIEE party, we were a bit tipsy. Which meant I was already a bit emotional. Then when we got there, our TDP teacher, Jorge, was just leaving. We had to say goodbye to him before we even walked into the party. So by the time I walked in, I was already crying. We didn't have much time at the party as we had dinner reservations, but we said goodbye to some friends, to our coordinator Caro and I said goodbye to my professor Angel. Then we ran out to the restaurant. Ale planned to meet us there since we weren't sure what time we'd be done with dinner. And Gerardo was going to meet us after we were done.

A little pre-party wine-drinking.

My lovely TDP family, with our profe Jorge (in the middle).

Saying goodbye to the ever-stylish Ángel.

We headed to the restaurant, which was one we walked by all the time and had tea at a few times. The menu looked great and it always smelled amazing inside. But we had never eaten there. We walked in for dinner, and the waiter who we always saw there said, "you're coming here to EAT today?!" hahah whoops, guess our only-tea-drinking was annoying. Whatever, we ordered rice with duck and some wine and enjoyed our Last Supper together. We had fun chatting and reminiscing and laughing. And trying not to cry...After dinner we ordered some dessert. Then I called up Gerardo to meet up with us. But he couldn't make it as he had to work early the next morning. And nobody else wanted to go out since they also had to get up early. Soooo that was the end of things. I was so glad Ale came to dinner with us so we could hang out one last time. We all headed outside, I said tearful goodbyes to everyone, and we headed home. Where I went to bed and cried myself to sleep. Not really. But mostly.

The TDP group and Ale. Love them all.

Me and Ale. Tears!

The next morning, I woke up, had my last breakfast at Angeles's house, headed to do some final shopping with Sofie and then headed back home for my last lunch with the Spanish family. Which consisted of tomato soup with bread and a fried egg in it, and some boquerones. And of course an orange. I then packed everything up (it barely fit...and made for some very heavy suitcases), sat in my room with no internet and nothing to do, trying not to cry, and then said goodbye to the host family. I took my bags downstairs and Sofie and I headed to the airport to go to Barcelona. I didn't even cry when I said goodbye to Angeles and her family. But then I got in the taxi and saw Sevilla flying past and couldn't hold it in anymore. I'm sure the taxi driver thought I was crazy, and so did Sofie, but I just couldn't help it.

I am not someone who is afraid of change. I kind of thrive on it, actually. If I am in the same place doing the same thing for too long, I can't stand it. I have realized that I end up changing something every year or so-jobs, living arrangement, entire life-plan, etc. I just keep moving around and trying new things, hoping I will eventually find what and where and who I want to be for good. Whenever I leave "home" to go somewhere new, I'm a little sad but mostly excited. I always know that I'll be back in Oregon, close to my family and friends at some point. But when I have to leave the "new" place, its always sad because I know that its for good. Not to say that I will never talk to or see the people or places again. But it just will never be the same. So for this reason, there were plenty of tears when I left Sevilla.

Now I'm ready for what's to come. I'm excited to move in with my new roommates, start new classes, figure out what I'm going to do for work, meet new people, etc. I still would have loved to have been able to stay in Sevilla for another semester. Just to practice my Spanish more and hang out with my Spanish and American friends (and get Joaquín to fall in love with me...). But that's not the plan God had for me. I know I will have an amazing year here in Portland with my family and friends. I love Portland. I still think it may be the greatest place to live on earth. But I'm sure a year from now I'll be ready for something new again...we'll see what is in store for me next! Here's to a great new year!

Soon to come: Barcelona adventures. Don't worry, the Spain blogging isn't done yet :)

Also, MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!!!

2 comments:

  1. I can't wait to see what God had planned for you either. Anyone who really knows you, understands you get emotional, part of what is loveable about you!! Just glad you got home safely, and Portland is close enough!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As long as you can cry you are still alive. Great to see you had an amazing journey and really took it in. And thanks for all the great posting. I know it is a lot of work. Welcome back. For me I am still in Europe with lots of snow.

    ReplyDelete