Monday, November 15, 2010

26 is the new 21.

Studying abroad (or studying at a University, in general) is not something that a lot of 26 year olds do. Needless to say, I am older than all of the other 20/21-year-old students who are here with me in Spain. So when it came time to celebrate my birthday, I wasn't that enthused. My friend Charlotte, who is also in the teaching development program, also had a birthday on the same day! She was turning 21, which is way more exciting. So when the day came, we had plans to have a big 21-er party. I was just pretending to turn the same age...

Since our trip to Morocco was changed due to a festival where each family kills a sheep (read: a lot of blood and dead animals. Everywhere.), we were set to leave for Morocco at 7:30am on Friday, November 12th. The day after our birthday. 7:30am. That kind of put a damper on wild celebrations. Charlotte wanted to go to a discoteca of some sort at least for a little while, so that was the plan (although that wasn't my first choice, I knew I'd have fun). We planned to go have some pizza, get a drink or two, then go to a discoteca.

I had met up with my intercambio, Ale, the day before and told him that we were planning on celebrating, so I invited him along with us. I also invited Gerardo, our photographer friend, since we hadn't seen him in a couple weeks and we missed him! Charlotte had also invited her intercambio and her intercambio's girlfriend.

The morning of our birthday, we had class...but we wanted a good start to the day so we planned to go out for a quick breakfast. I told Angeles that I wouldn't be eating breakfast at home in the morning since we were going out, and she said, "Oh, are you going to get churros and chocolate?!" Umm, why hadn't I thought of that?! Since the churro places are all kind of far away, we ended up just getting some tea and tostada. I don't know what it is, but the tostada (just plain ole toasted bread) here is delicious. I could eat that bread all day every day.

Anyway, after our gourmet breakfast, we headed to class. From there it was off to teaching! I had my second day of actually teaching my little 4-year-olds. So far its going alright, but I definitely have more learning to do :) Anyway, then it was home for lunch, besitos (kisses) from the whole family to wish me happy birthday, and then off to my last class of the day. After that class, I got home, packed for Morocco, got a little dressed up, and met the gang for a little pre-dinner drinking outside :) We had some bacardi and fanta. Delish (thanks, Tim!). I also got an adorable, super-thoughful gift from the girls, which included chocolate and the word "pedicure!" After getting a little buzz off of the botellón-ing (I'm such a lightweight...), we headed for pizza!

Ale said that he would meet us at the restaurant at 9, and Gerardo said he'd either meet us there or call us after to find out where we were. Charlotte's intercambio and her girlfriend couldn't make it as her intercambio had a test to study for the next day. When we got to the restaurant (a little late, whoops!), Ale was there waiting! We found a table and all sat down. Ale gave me a book of Spanish comics that we had talked about the day before, so sweet! Just as we had got settled in, Gerardo showed up! With gummies for Charlotte and I :) YUM. And with his French friend, who was hilarious and spoke Spanish at about the same level as us. Pretty entertaining! We ordered some beers and pizza and enjoyed the conversation and food! Sarah gave Charlotte and I some yummy chocolate pastry goodness for dessert (although we saved it for the bus ride to Morocco...bad choice for Charlotte's poor purse and wallet...), and after chatting for quite a while and another beer, we headed out. Charlotte was feeling sick and we were all tired, so we decided to skip the discoteca (for which Gerardo and I were a little grateful). Instead, we went to a bar nearby for another beer. The bar was super smoky, but had a fun ambiance. We had a beer, chatted some more, and then went our own ways.

Thanks for all the gifts, everyone!
Not pictured: bacardi and fanta from Tim :)

yummmmmm, chocolatey...

I felt bad for poor Charlotte, who wasn't feeling good anyway, but may have kind of got cheated on her 21st birthday celebration. Although I think Morocco made up for it....

But as for me, it was just about as perfect as it could have been! Minus my family and friends from home :( But I got to hang out with my awesome friends and my two favorite Spanish guys in the whole world. We had some good food, great conversation, and just generally enjoyed the night! I had plenty of lovely birthday messages on facebook when I got home at about 1am, then had to get up at 6 to leave for Morocco! Not only was my birthday day great (except for the fact that I had to go to class on my birthday for the first time in my life. Why doesn't Spain celebrate Veteran's Day, again??), but then I had a fantastic trip to Morocco for the three days following my birthday! What could be better?! (Again, except if my family and friends from home were here with me!!!).


love this.
Gerardo, Vincent, Charlotte, Ale, me!

So what if I turned 26. I've had 5 more years to enjoy life than the rest of my friends here have had:) 26 is still plenty young...right?!



More on Morocco to come soon, I promise!!

OH! Also, I got home from Morocco yesterday to find a birthday present from Angeles on my table in my room. I opened it up and its a necklace. Not just any necklace. You have to see it to appreciate it.

Thank you?
it. is. giant.

3 comments:

  1. ummm, yeah, GIANT is a good word for the lovely necklace! It just cracks me up to read about you drinking beer! And being the lightweight you are, since that is never your first choice of beverage, I can imagine a buzz comes quite quickly! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, and I prefer the maturity of 26 to the idiocy of 21!!! Just sayin' ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow that is one big necklace. Yo sista wasup? You are still just a spring chicken.

    ReplyDelete