Sunday, November 21, 2010

food...

Most of you know that I love food. I've never been a picky eater, which has definitely been a blessing since I've been here. I've tried food I never would have at home. Food I didn't even recognize. But usually I just eat it and don't ask questions. It's better that way. Trust me. Because when you do ask questions..........

Just don't. I'll explain shortly.

First of all, let me tell you about my eating schedule. Every morning when I get up, Angeles hears me rustling around and gets up to make me coffee and toast. She sets the table the night before, setting out dishes and utensils and cereal and fruit. And milk. Yes, you heard correctly. She sets the milk out the night before. Took me a while to get used to. Apparently they don't like cold milk here. So she microwaves my coffee and toasts my toast, sets out the spread for me and then she goes back to bed. I've never been a big breakfast-eater. So cereal, fruit, two pieces of toast and coffee is quite a lot for me. Sometimes I eat it all...sometimes I don't. For some reason, I find it impossible to tell her when I don't like or don't want something. So sometimes I dump the coffee down the sink if I don't want to drink it. Or I take the toast with me and throw it away later if I can't eat it all. Or if the toast is moldy like it has been the last couple of days....

Later on, I get back home for lunch. On Mondays and Wednesdays, I have a class that gets over at 3pm. Tuesdays and Thursdays I get back home a little after 2pm. Angeles and her family eat lunch at about 3 every day. So some days I get there just as they are finishing and she hops up to get me a bowl of delicious soup or a plate of fish or whatever is on the menu for the day. Other days, I get there a little before everyone else and she dishes me up immediately. Its always a little awkward when I'm getting done eating just as everyone else gets there. But she thinks that because I have to eat breakfast so early, I must be starving when I get home and incapable of waiting for everyone else to get there for lunch.

After lunch, I usually head in my room for a siesta. Whether this means an actual nap or chatting with family or doing homework, depends on the day. Then its either off to class again or I'm done for the day. Next comes dinner. I'm usually in my room when I hear her rustling about in the kitchen. After a while I hear "Emy, si quieres! La cena!" So I head out to the living room to eat. For dinner, she sets my food out in the living room not the dining room. So we sit there watching telenovelas together while I eat. Then, either when I'm done eating or when the show is over, I head back to my room to work on more homework.

In Spain, they have one of the greatest inventions ever. It is called a "mesa-camilla" or something of the sort. Literally it means "table-bed." This fantastic invention is a basic table, that is covered with thick, long table cloths that fall to the ground. Underneath, you find a heater. That's right, a heater. So you sit at the table, put the tablecloths over your legs, and get nice and toasty warm. Then you eat and you are so happy and full and warm that you fall asleep on the table. Or something like that. Anyway, its a fantastic idea. Everyone should have one.

Well....since this post is already long enough, and there is so much more food-related information to share, I'm going to call it good for now. Look for a "food, part 2" post. Complete with why you shouldn't ask what you're eating.

2 comments:

  1. Again, too polite to tell her the toast is moldy!! hahahahaha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. don't worry, I left it on the plate yesterday and she figured it out. I had some nice fresh non-moldy bread today!

    ReplyDelete