Thursday, September 16, 2010

hotter than hades

Just so you don't all think I'm a big whiner (well, I am, so it's okay if you think that), here's some proof that legitimizes my whining. The high temperatures each day that I've been in Sevilla so far. As recorded by weather.com.

6sep-91
7sep-86
8sep-86
9sep-91
10sep-95
11sep-95
12sep-97
13sep-99
14sep-100
15sep-95

That's hot. That's hot when you have an air-conditioned home and you drive from place to place in your air-conditioned car. But when you have to walk everywhere and don't even have a fan in your bedroom, much less air conditioning anywhere in your house, you can't escape the heat. Which is why I slept on the floor last night. I thought I was going to burst into flames while I was lying on my bed. So I thought, "hey, the tile floor is cool. Why not lay down there?" So that's what I did. Eventually I cooled down enough to move back up to the bed. Until I woke up sweating. Yuck. Fortunately, today was much cooler. Well, mid-80's-and-cloudy cooler. And tonight I actually have a cool breeze coming in through my window. I might actually sleep! At least until like Sunday when the "cool" spell is probably going to end. Oh dear. Why did I want to come here this time of year, again? It could be worse, I know. I actually thought it was worse....I was surprised to see that the temperature didn't reach above 100. I think weather.com may be lying a little bit.

Anyway, my Spanish class (which I am loving, by the way), took advantage of the cool weather today. We took a little field trip to a convent/cathedral that is close to our school. We first walked around in the cathedral, which was built in 1496 (!!!!!!!) and is quite beautiful. After seeing all the magnificence (and walking across a few headstones that are just embedded in the ground-there's quite a few people buried in the cathedral), we went to buy "dulces."

This convent doesn't really have any money. They don't receive money from the government or anything, but just survive off of the money that they make from the goods they sell. And are those goods, good. The monjas, or nuns, spend most of their time cooking goodies. They sell donuts, candies, muffins....all kinds of good stuff. One of the nuns is 93 years old and hasn't left the convent in 70 years. Amazing. So she must be a really good baker. Oh the deliciousness. Its going to be bad though, because this place is like 1 minute from the school. I might be there every day....between that and the ice cream and all the huge amounts of food my señora feeds me, I better find a gym quickly. Even my supersonic metabolism may be no match for all this goodness.



After the goodies and the rest of class, I decided to walk around a little. I have been too scared to walk around much until today, as I thought I'd drop dead of heat stroke or get so hot I'd start crying or screaming at people. So I've mostly been hanging out at my house. Although its not much cooler in here than it is outside....Anyway, I went for a little walk. I'm incapable of walking around this city without getting lost. So get lost I did. Fortunately it was nice weather and I had a map. So I was just fine. After buying 1 euro bag of gummy candy and asking the vendor for directions, I made it back home. Just in time for lunch. Fish and gazpacho. And fruit for dessert as always. And my señora's niece was yelling at her for something and kind of stormed out. But I didn't quite catch it, just that her mom said "it's her age" (she's 21).

Anyway, thank goodness for rain and thunderstorms, which we're supposed to have for the next couple of days. Might just get some more exploring done! Do a little rain dance for me please? Also, do a "remember-the-differences-between-Ser-and-Estar-for-your-test-tomorrow" dance for me while you're at it. Thanks!

1 comment:

  1. The floor works just fine. More space anyway and you don't need a shoehorn to get into bed.
    See for the memo you did not get here:
    http://www.istockphoto.com/file_thumbview_approve/5049400/2/istockphoto_5049400-no-whining.jpg

    ReplyDelete